2012 College Football Preview: BCS Bowl and Hypothetical Playoff Predictions

Hi guys! This is going to be one of my final 2012 College Football Preview posts. In this post I'll talk about how my projected records for the college football season (which you can find here) would fit with the current BCS bowl system, and the 4-team playoff system I outlined here. Before I start, I'd like to mention that these are not the records I'm predicting with my own opinion, but rather they're the records my power ratings are predicting.

My projected 2012 BCS bowls 

With my projected records, there's a bit of controversy surrounding who plays in the National Championship. Utah, Georgia and Oklahoma are all undefeated major conference champions. Oklahoma did not play in a conference championship game, and they didn't beat a ranked team in a true road game. Georgia played the #72 schedule, easier than many mid-majors, and played only 3 teams with a winning conference record. Utah started off the season unranked, however they have 2 wins over top 10 teams. Ultimately, I believe Utah would be the odd team out due to their low position to start the season and their lower presitge.
National Championship: 1 Oklahoma vs. 2 Georgia
Rose: 3 Utah vs. 4 Nebraska
Sugar: 9 Tennessee vs. 7 Ohio
Fiesta: 6 Texas vs. 5 USC
Orange: 10 Clemson vs. 18 South Florida

My projected 2012 Playoff

Instead of the controversy being for 2nd place, in the playoff it's for fourth place. Nebraska has 1 loss, to Ohio State on the road, and USC has one loss, to Utah on the road. Also throwing a monkey wrench into the equation is undefeated Ohio, MAC champions. Ultimately, Ohio will not be chosen for the playoff due to their low strength of schedule, and Nebraska gets the nod over USC due to their status as conference champions.
Rose (semi): 2 Georgia vs. 3 Utah
Sugar (champions): 6 Texas vs. 9 Tennessee
Fiesta: 5 USC vs. 12 LSU
Orange: 11 Notre Dame vs. 10 Clemson
Cotton (semi): 1 Oklahoma vs. 4 Nebraska
Peach: 8 Oregon vs. 7 Ohio
Final at Raymond James Stadium Tampa, Florida

That's all for now! I hope to have some fantasy football articles up over the next few weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bracketology 3/12/20

Bracketology 3/7/20

Bracketology 3/11/20