Chris Paul and NBA parity

Well, I had a rant typed up about Chris Paul to the Lakers, but then Stern rejected the trade. I think this is a very good move by the NBA. The league owns the Hornets, so who's to say they can't veto the deal? The league wants to allow small market franchises to succeed (eg. the Spurs) so we don't end up with 5 teams in LA and New York. Anyways, here's my rant I typed up that will be applicable if the deal ends up going through (which I think will happen):
In case you haven't heard yet (which I doubt), Chris Paul is headed to the Lakers. Personally, I don't like this move for LA. They're losing Gasol and Odom, to pick up another guard who wants to be #1. I don't think CP3 and Kobe can live with being a supporting cast member. This brings me to another point about the NBA. It is extrodinarily hard to succeed consistently outside of the major cities. I think that teams like the Warriors and the Wizards can take advantage of this, as the Bay Area and DC have no shortage of potential fans. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those teams lands a free agent unexpectedly to support their star (Curry and Wall, respectively.) The NBA would be so much better if there was more parity (a hard cap would be wonderful.) That's one of the reasons the NFL is so popular. Just look at Indy and San Fran. Both teams are huge surprises, and keep the standings and storylines interesting. Each team ends up with a solid fanbase in their geographical area because the team has a realistic chance, leading to higher ticket sales. That's it for today. Another article is coming tomorrow, with my NBA predictions upcoming.

Ivar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bracketology 3/12/20

Bracketology 3/7/20

Bracketology 3/11/20