2013-14 Premier League season preview

Well, the next season of the Premier League is just around the corner! In this article I'll be giving my table prediction for the upcoming season, along with assorted commentary. For the table predictions, I'll give detailed commentary for the top half of the table and more sparse commentary for the bottom half.

The Table:

1. Chelsea

Chelsea is the favorite to win this year in my opinion. Although all of the three predicted front runners have new managers, I feel as if Chelsea has the best one as Mourinho has experience at Stamford Bridge. I believe that one of the keys to Chelsea winning the title will be a great season from Romelu Lukaku. He showed what he is capable of last season while on loan to West Brom, and I think that if he plays better than that for a whole season, which is very possible, Chelsea has a great attacking threat. Combine that with Juan Mata and Eden Hazard, and I think Chelsea will win the league.

2. Manchester City

Pelligrini was a great hire, and I believe that he can lead City to multiple titles over the next few years. However, I'm not sure how I feel about their signings. I like Jesus Navas, but I'm not so sure about Stevan Jovetic and Alvaro Negredo. City also needs to pick up a center back before the transfer window closes on the 2nd to play in front of Joe Hart. Manchester City is coming off a turbulent season in which they were never really in title contention, but I think this year they'll finish much closer, just a few points behind Chelsea.

3. Manchester United

I think that Manchester United is in the worst shape out of the so-called "Top Three". In the short term, David Moyes' teams were not the best in important games over at Everton, and the Rooney saga hangs over the team. In the long term, backs Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand are not getting any younger, and van Persie is the only truly cream of the crop striker the Red Devils have. A tough run of opening fixtures could set the pace for the season, and trouble early could mean trouble for Moyes and the team as a whole.

4. Arsenal

Everyone and their mother is picking the Gunners 4th, and I feel the same. This team does not have the talent to match up with the three teams ahead of them, even if they do sign Luis Suarez. I'm not sure how valid the concerns that Spurs will pass them for fourth are though, considering how great Arsenal looked last season from March onwards. I think that the key player to watch for the Gunners this year is Santi Cazorla. The winger is in the prime of his career, and without Suarez, he'll have to lead Arsenal to a Champions League spot or Arsene Wenger's head could be on the chopping block.

5. Tottenham

I very seriously considered putting Liverpool in this spot, but decided against it. I think that the summer-long Gareth Bale saga is going to weigh Spurs down, as we can't be sure whether or not Bale is still going to give a full effort in his disgruntled state.  However, what stopped me from putting the Reds in this spot is the signing of Paulinho. I think that he (along with Wilfried Bony and Ricky van Wolfswinkel) are the top candidates for signing of the summer. Roberto Soldado, from Valencia, is a quality striker who should pair up nicely with Jermain Defoe up front.

6. Liverpool

I think that the Reds' biggest mistake during the summer was not pursuing Henrikh Mkhitaryan (I'll admit I had to look up how to spell that) harder. I think that he is a great player who has a long, successful career with Borussia Dortmund ahead of him. However, as currently assembled, I think Liverpool can still contend for a Champions League place. Luis Suarez is, in my opinion, overrated, and should be sold. Even if he stays for the next few seasons, I still think Liverpool is in good shape with him and Daniel Sturridge leading them to many Champions League berths over the next few seasons.

7. Everton

It surprises me how many prognosticators have dropped Everton out of the top 7. I feel as if the top 7 are much better than the remaining 13 teams, and Everton is still in the top 7 despite losing David Moyes. I think Everton did a great job in keeping Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini at Goodison Park, as I really like both of them. However, I do have my concerns about Everton. It seems pretty strange to hire the manager of a relegated team, despite Roberto Martinez's reputation as an escape artist. Regardless, I think Everton finishes comfortably in 7th.

8.  Swansea City

Here is where the free-for-all in the table begins. Like last year, I expect there to be only about 15 points between the 8th placed team and the relegation zone. However, I'm placing the Swans at the top of that free-for-all because they appear to be the most well-assembled side among the bottom 13. Michael Laudrup is a great manager, and has assembled numerous underrated players such as Wilfried Bony, Nathan Dyer, and of course, Michu. I expect the Spaniard who came in on a bargain deal from Rayo Vallecano last summer to net 15 goals again, and possibly 20.

9. Southampton

Southampton? Really? Yes, really. And I can sum up why I have the Saints in the top half of the table in two words: Rickie Lambert. He appears to be peaking late in his career, and I think he is due for the best year of his career. Overall, Southampton are a solid side without him, and I think that they will stay up by a comfortable margin. However, I think that they need to make the most out of an easy first 3 months of fixtures before a much tougher stretch in December.

10. Newcastle United
I think that a bounce back season is in order at St. James' Park. I think that Loic Remy was a very good player to get on loan, as with a more talented supporting cast than he had at QPR I think he can net a number of goals. Newcastle has had their share of off the field turmoil this offseason, but I think that Papiss Cisse, in the center of said turmoil, is due for another good season as well.

11. Aston Villa

Christian Benteke is a piece to build around, and signing him through 2017 was a great move by Paul Lambert. Gabriel Agbonlahor, still on the front end of his career, could also be a force for the Villains and it wouldn't shock me to see them in the top half of the standings as they were a few years ago.

12. Norwich City

I already mentioned that I love the signing of Ricky van Wolfswinkel, and I think he and Robert Snodgrass make for a great attacking pair. Garrido is also a very solid back, and I think that if they get more cash, Norwich can have a side that does not have to worry about relegation for the next five years or so.

13. West Ham

West Ham seems like the most "blah" team in the Premier League to me. Andy Carroll is a nice piece to add full-time, instead of having on loan, and they have a very underrated keeper in Jussi Jaaskelainen.

14. West Brom

I think that the loss of Lukaku back to Chelsea is really going to be a big one for West Brom, as he was a big part in their success last year. However, Shane Long is still around, and I think that Claudio Yacob could have a breakout season in midfield.

15. Stoke City

It seems as if Stoke is a pretty common pick to go down along with one or two recently promoted sides, but I don't see why that's the case. Peter Crouch is a pretty good striker and Stoke was never in that much relegation danger last year.

16. Cardiff City

I think that Cardiff is going to escape relegation and spend a few years in the Premier League. Steven Caulker seems like a poor signing, but Gary Medel is an interesting one who I think could pay off big time for the Bluebirds. Cardiff, unlike Hull and Crystal Palace, has the money to build a Premier League side.

17. Fulham

I was very close to sending Fulham down, as I just don't see what they have going for them. Bryan Ruiz is OK at best, and the team as a whole looked lost at times last year, finishing relatively close to the relegation zone.

18. Sunderland

I think the Black Cats are headed down to the Championship. There seems to be a lot of uncertainty around this team, they have many players with little or no Premier League experience, and I'm not sure how motivated Fletcher and Sessegnon are going to be this year.

19. Hull City

Steve Bruce is not the best of managers, and Hull City really does not seem to have the talent, or the budget, to stay up. The signing of Tom Huddlestone, however, makes me slightly hesitant to put them here.

20. Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace is quite an easy choice to send down. It feels as if they got kind of lucky getting into the Championship playoffs, and then needed a fluky penalty on the edge of the area to beat Watford in the playoff final. Zaha is gone as well.

That's all for now! Premier League picks for week 1 will be up soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bracketology 3/12/20

Bracketology 3/7/20

Bracketology 3/11/20