NBA Season Preview

Well, since I'm going to be doing NBA picks, I figured I'd roll out a season preview. I'm kind of picking everything up as I go along, this is going to be my first year follow the NBA as closely as I do the NFL/College Football. In a few days, I might do a post talking about how awfully my MLB season preview I made in April was. Here goes.

Eastern Conference (regular season):

1. Miami Heat
2. New York Knicks
3. Chicago Bulls
4. Indiana Pacers
5. Boston Celtics
6. Brooklyn Nets
7. Cleveland Cavaliers
8. Atlanta Hawks
9. Philadelphia 76ers
10. Washington Wizards
11. Milwaukee Bucks
12. Detroit Pistons
13. Orlando Magic
14. Toronto Raptors
15. Charlotte Bobcats

The Heat are, obviously, the odds on favorite to win the East. I think it's pretty close to a sure thing that they have the best regular season record in the East, but winning the East in the playoffs is another deal entirely. You never know if they're going to run into a roadblock like the Pacers almost were last year. I think this the year things finally come together for the Knicks with 'Melo and crew, and they develop a rivalry with the Nets. The Bulls' supporting cast will step up in Derrick Rose's absence, and will gel with him when he returns around the all-star break. The Pacers have a solid nucleus built around David West and Danny Granger, but we'll see how far it takes them in the playoffs. We'll see if Father Time catches up with the Celtics, but I have a feeling they're staring down an early round exit. The Nets may take some time to gel over the early part of the year, but I think they should be firing guns-a-blazing come April and May. The Cavs are my surprise pick to make the playoffs in the East, I think that Kyrie Irving will finally display his full form this year. The Hawks slip in the last playoff spot because they get enough wins beating up on the soft underbelly of the Southeast Division.

1. Oklahoma City Thunder
2. Los Angeles Lakers
3. Los Angeles Clippers
4. Memphis Grizzlies
5. San Antonio Spurs
6. Denver Nuggets
7. Golden State Warriors
8. Dallas Mavericks
9. Minnesota Timberwolves
10. Houston Rockets
11. New Orleans Hornets
12. Phoenix Suns
13. Portland Trailblazers
14. Sacramento Kings
15. Utah Jazz

The Thunder are the class of the West in my mind, despite trading away Harden to the hapless Rockets. I'm still amazed that such a dynasty has been built in the middle of Oklahoma. The Lakers clock in at #2, but you have to wonder how much longer Kobe can carry the team for. The Clippers are #3, but I think they'll give the Lakers a run for their money to win the Pacific. The up-tempo Grizzlies led by Rudy Gay are my surprise pick to win the Texas err... Southwest Division. The Spurs are going to be a close second, and their age is likely going to catch up with them over the grind of another 82 game season. The Nuggets are next, and Andre Iguodala could lead them even higher and closer to the Thunder. The Warriors, led by the Bogut-Curry-Barnes trio, could be a factor in the Pacific. In the last playoff spot, we have the Mavericks with an aging Dirk Nowitski.

Eastern Playoffs:
1 Miami beats 8 Atlanta
2 New York beats 7 Cleveland
3 Chicago beats 6 Brooklyn
4 Indiana beats 5 Boston
1 Miami beats 4 Indiana
3 Chicago beats 2 New York
3 Chicago beats 1 Miami
Western Playoffs:
1 Oklahoma City beats 8 Dallas
2 Los Angeles Lakers beat 7 Golden State
6 Denver beat 3 Los Angeles Clippers
4 Memphis beats 5 San Antonio
4 Memphis beats 1 Oklahoma City
2 Los Angeles Lakers beats 6 Denver
2 Los Angeles Lakers beats 4 Memphis
Finals:
3 Chicago beats 2 Los Angeles Lakers in 6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bracketology 3/12/20

Bracketology 3/7/20

Bracketology 3/11/20