What I plan to do on this blog... and College Football Power Ratings

I haven't posted in a while, so here's a quick update on what I plan to use this for:
1) NFL picks. I've been doing them throughout the season with some friends, and I did quite well the first few weeks. However, weeks 4-6 have not been so kind, and I'm down to just a hair above dead even on the season
2) College Football Power Ratings. I've been updating my power ratings every week (which you can find in read-only format here, go to the sheet entitled "ratings".) I have a new college football tool called the "spread maker" which, using my ratings, determines what I believe the spread should be for the game. Note this is in the extreme alpha stages, I just made it last week and I'm still calibrating it,
3) College Football Opinion Poll. I've been doing this for the last few weeks (here). It's not at all related to my power ratings.
4) And the big one, once NBA season starts, daily/weekly NBA picks. This will be my first year doing them, but I'm already planning strategies.
5) And of course, my favorite, starting January 1st, bracketology. Bracketology is really my bread and butter, it's my favorite thing to predict. It's also the only way I survive the awful Michigan winters.

On that note, I'd like to give you guys my power ratings for this week. Note that you can find the whole ratings at my spreadsheet linked above under the weekly sheet, in column entitled R7 (Rating 7). Without further ado...
1 Alabama
2 Oklahoma
3 Florida
4 South Carolina
5 Notre Dame
6 Georgia
7 USC
8 Oregon
9 Florida State
10 LSU
11 Texas
12 Texas Tech
13 Rutgers
14 Kansas State
15 Ohio State
16 Clemson
17 Texas A&M
18 Oregon State
19 Michigan
20 West Virginia
21 Nebraska
22 Tennessee
23 North Carolina
24 Mississippi State
25 Boise State
I obviously do not agree with all of these. Oklahoma is too high, and 4 SEC teams in the top 6 is baloney. However, there are a number of things I like about these ratings.
1) Texas Tech is #12. This team can go places, and I've been high on them all year. I wouldn't be shocked if they make a run at the Big 12 title if Kansas State stumbles a few times from here on out.
2) Ohio State is low. The Buckeyes have not looked like an undefeated team, with close calls against abysmal Cal and Indiana teams.
Things I dislike about these ratings:
1) Georgia #6. What? My computer has liked them all year, but I'm just not getting it. They've looked pretty middle of the top-25 ish to me this whole year.
2) Kansas State #14. Colin Klein and company have looked like national title contenders to me this whole year. I think that they have a shot at running the table.

That's all for now guys.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bracketology 3/12/20

Bracketology 3/7/20

Bracketology 3/11/20